Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Pork, Cabbage and Apples in the Slow Cooker


I love cooking with my cast iron, but I also love cooking with my slow cooker. 
This was so yummy. Not only did my taste buds jump for joy, my nose did too (or at least twitched) at the smell of apples and pork cooking all day throughout the house. There's just something about the pairing of apples and pork...


If you don't have any of this in the house, you'll want to get you some.


Okay here we go. As always there will be a link at the end of this for you to print the recipe if ye be so inclined. And for the record, I adapted this recipe from an old Rival Slow Cooker Cookbook I picked up at Goodwill. (Psst...there are great cookbooks there for cheap.)

I took 4 pork loins and put them in a glass baking dish and salt and peppered each side of the loins.


Then I brushed on some of that Kitchen Bouquet...


...on both sides of the loins. Set aside.


I sprayed my crock pot insert with cooking spray then added four cups of shredded cabbage.



I cored and diced 3 to 4 apples and added it to the cabbage mixture. You don't have to peel the apples.


Add a half of a small onion chopped.


1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves


1 bay leaf


1/4 cup sugar


1 cup water


2 tablespoons cider vinegar


2 teaspoons salt


Mix it up...


...and go get them prepared pork loins.


Place them on top of the cabbage mixture,


cover things up with the lid,


and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.



Comfort food!

Pork, Cabbage and Apples in the Slow Cooker


Print Recipe

Prep: 15 minutes                                  Level: Easy
Cook: Slow Cooker                               Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 4 pork loins
  • Kitchen Bouquet
  • 4 cups shredded cabbage
  • 3-4 apples, cored and diced
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
Directions:
Season loins with salt and pepper and then brush each side with Kitchen Bouquet; set aside. Put cabbage, apples and onion in prepared slow cooker. Add the rest except the pork loins. Mix together well. Arrange loins on top of the cabbage mixture. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.

No comments: