Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Venison Shoulder Pot Roast


This one-pan venison pot roast recipe is ideal for those awkward shoulder roasts you don't want to throw away but you also don't feel like indulging in the tedious job of cleaning the roast for burger or jerky. Just make sure you seal the roast up good at processing time before placing them in the freezer, or cook one up right away after the harvest.

Cooking time is 4 hours and 15 minutes. It makes the whole cabin smell yummy!

Comfort food at its best!

As always, the printable recipe link will follow the picture show.


Start with a large roasting pan. I like to use a large disposable roasting pan because I don't have a dishwasher back here in the woods. (Well, I do, actually. Two of them: Steve & Debi.)

Spray the pan with cooking spray.


Place your well-cleaned venison shoulder roast in the pan. When I say well-cleaned I'm talking about trimming as much gristle as possible from the roast to prevent that gamey taste.


Rub the roast with olive oil.


I used tomato chutney on this roast. Spread it over the roast. Tomato chutney is a cross between a tomato relish and salsa. It gives the recipe a little zing.


I used about 2 teaspoons.


Sprinkle on desired amount of salt and pepper.


And sprinkle on a teaspoon or two of smoked paprika.


I like smoked paprika.


Normally I would use a chopped medium onion at this point. However, my son was coming for the weekend and he doesn't care for onions. I wanted to keep the onion flavor but not the sight of onions so I used dried chopped onions instead.

Sneaky.



Now for the minced garlic. I buy my garlic in all varieties: fresh from the produce section, minced in a jar, or whole peeled cloves in a jar as seen above.


I minced 5 of them and tossed them over the roast.


Then I poured one and a half cups of beef broth around the roast.


I quartered one large tomato and placed that around the roast.


I added three sliced up stalks of celery.

Place the entire roasting pan in a preheated 400 degree F oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes then lower the heat to 325 degrees F and cover pan. Bake for 3 hours, basting occasionally with juices from the pan.




After three hours, add the potatoes and carrots. Blend 1/4 cup flour with 1/2 cup beef broth until creamy. Add to the roaster pan. Cover and bake one hour longer or until the vegetables are tender.

I don't have a picture of that step because it was dark outside. I don't use my flash when I photograph food so the picture wouldn't have turned out.

Here's the finished product! Have a piece of heavy buttered french bread ready on the side to dip in the juices! 

Note: This dish will serve 2-4 people depending on the size roast you are using.


 Venison Shoulder Pot Roast


Ingredients
  •  3-5 Pound Venison Bone-in Shoulder Roast
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 2 teaspoons Tomato Chutney
  • 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
  •  Medium Onion, Chopped
  • 5 cloves Garlic, Chopped
  • 2 cups Beef Broth
  • 3 stalks Celery
  •  Large Tomato, Quartered
  • 1 pound Baby Carrots
  •  Medium Red Potatoes, Quartered
  • ¼ cups Flour

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place roast in a roasting pan prepared with nonstick cooking spray. Rub roast with the olive oil. Spread the tomato chutney over the roast then season with smoked paprika and desired salt and pepper. Cover the roast with the chopped onion and garlic. Pour in 1 & 1/2 cups of broth reserving 1/2 cup for later. Spread the tomato and celery around the roast. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

Turn the heat down to 325 degrees F. Cover the roasting pan. Bake for 3 hours. Baste the roast occasionally with juices from the roast and broth.

After 3 hours surround the roast with the potatoes and carrots. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup broth with the flour and blend until smooth. Add to the roaster. Cover and bake for 1 hour more or until the vegetables are tender.









No comments: