Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Banana Rhubarb Muffins


My rhubarb is plentiful this year and I just don't want to see it go to waste. So I went out to my garden, cut meself some stalks, came back into the cabin, eyed one lonely over-ripe banana and thought, hmmm, does rhubarb and a banana play well together?


I scanned my recipe books but found nothing that included both above mentioned ingredients. So, I concocted this easy and yummy muffin recipe and discovered rhubarb and a banana get along quite nicely!

Banana Rhubarb Muffins

Ingredients

  • ½ cups Butter, Softened
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  •  Eggs
  • 1-½ cup Rhubarb, Peeled And Chopped
  •  Banana, Ripened And Peeled
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1-½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • Topping:
  • ½ cups Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter, Softened
  • ½ teaspoons Cinnamon


Mix softened butter and brown sugar until crumbly.


Add the eggs and mix.


Add the banana and mash it up and mix it in. (You can mash the banana BEFORE putting it in, too. I'm just sometimes impatient.)


Add the buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well. 

And maybe next time wipe up the bowl a bit if you're/I'm going to show everyone the step-by-step pictures.


In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients - flour, ww flour, salt, baking soda.

Put the two bowls together and mix until moistened.


Peel and chop enough rhubarb to make 1 1/2 cups.


Add it to the mix and stir until blended.


Fill your paper lined or greased standard size muffin tins half full of batter. (The recipe roughly makes 18 muffins so you may need two muffin pans) Mix your topping ingredients until crumbly.


Sprinkle generously over the batter.


Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and set it on a rack. Allow muffins to cool 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.

Oh, how I love that sticky gooey look.


Perfection!


Enjoy summer's bounty!

I think you're beginning to suspect I like bananas.



No comments: