Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Layered Veggie Casserole With Crushed Pork Rinds


I love my veggies and I love this side dish! 

I also love bread. And breadcrumbs would be perfect on top of this casserole. But I felt that breadcrumbs would take away from the healthiness of this dish by adding carbs.

So I eyed that bag of pork rinds in the cupboard, bit my bottom lip, and went hmmmm...

And you, smart readers, can figure out the rest of the story!

Psst! The leftovers are just as yummy.

As always, the printable recipe will be at the bottom.


I crushed up enough pork rinds to make one cup by using a zip lock bag and my rolling pin.




I sprinkled half of them into a greased 2.75 quart casserole dish.


Then I arranged a layer of zucchini,




onion, 

(I used a red onion this time, but you can use whatever onion you want.)


tomatoes,


fresh spinach leaves to end this section,


and I meant to sprinkle the spinach with salt and pepper, but I forgot.

So now we repeat the layers, starting with the zucchini again, and I added the forgotten salt and pepper here as you can see.

Still with me?


Another layer of onions...


I'm doing a switch-a-roo here on purpose. A layer of spinach,


ending with the tomatoes because I think it looks prettier.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.


Dust the top with grated parmesan cheese.


Shake the rest of those crushed pork rinds over the top.


Sprinkle the basil and oregano over all.


Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 1 hour, uncovered.


Aren't those tomatoes purty?
Enjoy!



Ingredients

  • 1 cup Pork Rinds, Crushed And Divided
  •  Medium Zucchini, Sliced
  •  Large Onion, Thinly Sliced
  •  Medium Tomatoes, Sliced
  • 2 cups Fresh Spinach Leaves
  • 2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, Grated
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Pepper
  • ½ teaspoons Basil
  • ½ teaspoons Oregano

Preparation

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Put half of the crushed Pork Rinds into the bottom of a well greased 2.75 quart casserole dish. Arrange your layers accordingly: zucchini, onions, tomatoes, spinach. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Now repeat the process accordingly: zucchini, onions, spinach, tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. I switched the second layer around a bit ending with the tomatoes. Sprinkle top with the Parmesan Cheese, the rest of the crushed pork rinds, basil and oregano.
Baked, uncovered, for one hour.












No comments: