Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Pickles 'n Vinegar


I grew up eating pickles 'n vinegar. My mom made it, as well as my aunts and my grandmas. For me every bite is one of those go-back-in-time memories. I figured with the growing season happening all around us, I would share this homemade goodness with you all seeings how all those fresh cucumbers are becoming available in our gardens and at local farmer's markets.

So, so easy!

As always the printable recipe will be at the end of this post.


Mix 1/2 cup brown vinegar...


...with 1/2 cup of water.


Allow to dissolve with one cup of sugar.





Set aside.


I used a 1.75 quart bowl and filled it with peeled sliced cucumbers - I used about 7 medium sized cucumbers, not the pickling size. Then I sprinkled on 1 teaspoon of dill. 


Cover with the dissolved vinegar mixture.


Stir it up and place it into the refrigerator for several hours or overnight allowing it to chill before serving.





Enjoy on your hamburgers, as a side dish or all alone (like I do).

Here's the printable recipe. Enjoy! Happy Summer!

Pickles 'n Vinegar

Pickles 'n Vinegar

So easy as a side dish or salad! 
Every bite says summer I love you!






Prep: 10 minutes                                  Level: Super Easy
Chill: several hours                              Serves: 10

Ingredients:
  • 7 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dill
Directions:
        Mix 1/2 cup brown vinegar with 1/2 cup water. Add sugar and mix allowing it to dissolve. Set aside.

        Slice and peel enough cucumbers to fill a glass bowl.  I used 7 cucumbers to fill a 1.75 quart glass bowl which held 7 cups of sliced cucumbers. One medium cuke makes about 1 cup sliced. Cover the cucumbers with vinegar mixture and mix in the dill. Allow to chill several hours or overnight. The cucumber slices will get soft and shrink somewhat.

No comments: