Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Speedy Chicken Enchiladas


I think it's obvious by now that I love Mexican food. And chicken. And black beans. And corn. And cumin.


So here's a quick and easy Enchilada recipe that Steve and I really enjoy. And yes, I make a 9x13 inch baking dish of this just for Steve and I because it reheats so well in the microwave and lasts a good week in the refrigerator.

There will be a link at the bottom of this post if you'd like to print the recipe.


One of my favorite cooking sprays. For the enchiladas I used this spray to prepare the dish.


In a medium bowl add 1 cup diced red onion,


a can of corn and a can of black beans,


a can of chunk white chicken,


chili powder and cumin,


1 cup diced green (or red) sweet Bell pepper. 

Note: I realize my pepper looks a little disheveled. When I don't think I'm going to use peppers up fast enough, I dice them, then put them in a plastic freezer bag and put them in the freezer for future use. The day I made these Enchiladas I was out of fresh peppers, so I used 1 cup of my frozen peppers.


Throw in a teaspoon of salt.


Next, add 1/2 cup of your favorite shredded melting cheese such as cheddar, colby, provolone or mozzarella. I used a mixture of shredded Italian Style mix, mozzarella, and provolone.


Now mix it all up real good breaking up the hunks of chicken as you stir.


Use 1 cup of your favorite salsa and spread it around in the bottom of your prepared baking dish.


Perfect. I used a basic mild chunky salsa, but you could get creative here!


Take about 1/3 cup of the mixture and spread it down the center of a flour tortilla.


This part got a leettle messy for me as I was trying to manage the food, manage the camera while doing things with my left hand when I'm right handed and not that talented. 

Conundrum.

Wrap up the tortillas tightly and place them in the dish.


This part isn't purdy. 

I apologize.



Viola'!


There will be some filling leftover. Use that to sprinkle over the tortillas.


Another layer of salsa...



...spread it over the top.


Cover with foil and place in the preheated 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes.


Remove from the oven and uncover...



and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese over all for the last layer.


Place it back into the oven, uncovered, for 5 - 10 minutes or until cheese melts and the Enchiladas bubble with excitement.


Cut into squares and serve with additional salsa, sour cream and tortilla chips!

Enjoy!

*********************************************************************************

 
Speedy Chicken Enchiladas

Prep: 10 minutes                                  Level: Easy
Bake: 25 minutes                                  Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium red onion, diced (ab0ut 1 cup)
  • 1 sweet red or green Bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 (12.5-ounce) can chunk white chicken, drained
  • 1 (15-ounce) can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups cheddar, colby, provolone or mozzarella cheese - your choice, divided
  • 3 cups salsa - your choice, divided
  • 7 to 8 flour tortillas
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine onion, pepper, black beans, corn, chicken, spices, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Mix well, shredding the chunks of chicken as you go.

Prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. (I prefer garlic flavored.) Use 1 cup of salsa and spread evenly over the bottom of the baking dish.

Using about 1/3 cup of the filling, fill each tortilla down the middle, then tightly roll it up and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Continue with the rest of the tortillas. Spread 1 cup of salsa over the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle the leftover filling over the tortillas. Sprinkle last remaining cup of salsa over the top.

Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Take out of the oven, uncover, and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over the top. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the enchiladas are bubbling. Optional: Serve the enchiladas with additional salsa, a dollop of sour cream, and tortilla chips. 

These make great leftovers and reheat wonderfully in the microwave!




No comments: