Recipes From Living the American Backwoods Cabin Life

Homemade Cole Slaw


Now that the Fourth of July holiday is over (sniff), maybe you indulged in wonderful flavorful salads during you're cookouts with family and friends, but now you are ready to try something new. Homemade Cole Slaw is quick, easy, and oh, so versatile! Use it as a side dish to fish or pork, in your turkey reuben sandwiches, or as a hamburger topping.

And all credit to this recipe (except the orange Bell pepper) goes to my mother-in-law. She introduced me to her cole slaw (the cabbage came out of my father-in-laws awesome garden) when I was sixteen years old and I've loved it (and her son) ever since!

As always, the printable recipe will be at the bottom of this post.


Start with a medium size head of green cabbage. Shred it to make (give or take) around 8 cups. I like to mince mine. I'm not fond of big pieces of shredded cabbage.


So after I cut it all up, I use this handy tool to mince it into smaller pieces.


Perfect!


I then mince the onion and orange Bell pepper and toss them into the cabbage.

You can use any color Bell pepper you wish. I use the orange for color. Or instead of pepper, you could throw in a couple of minced or shredded carrots. I think the cabbage and the sauce are the main characters.


Mix it all up.


Now for the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing,


sugar,


vinegar,


celery seed,


mustard, (I used dry but you can use soft if you want),


salt and pepper to taste, then mix it all up.

Ohhhh, so creamy.


Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture, and stir or toss to coat. Whatever tickles your fancy.



Yum!


Grab a spoon and dig in!

Happy summer salad!

Homemade Cole Slaw


By Debi | Cabin Cleaver
in Sandwich Toppings, Salads, Side Dish

Prep: 20 minutes + Refrigeration       Level: Easy
Cook: 0                                                    Serves: 10

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups  shredded green cabbage
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1/2 orange Bell pepper, minced
Dressing:
  • 1 cup salad dressing
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp. mustard (I use dry)
  • salt & pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, minced onions, and minced orange Bell peppers. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Mix well. Pour over the cabbage mixture, toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

********************************************************************************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good. Is "salad dressing" the same as mayonnaise or Miracle Whip - type of stuff? Gloria

Debi said...

Hi Gloria! That is such a good question. I thought there wasn't a difference until I used mayo once and my husband said what did you do different? There is a distinction between mayo/Miracle Whip and salad dressing. My husband likes mayo on his sandwiches but when it comes to salads, salad dressing suits us. You can find salad dressing in the same store aisle as mayo but just look for the label to specifically say salad dressing. Same color as salad dressing. Hope this helps! Debi :)